MPs debates power outage in the capital – Suara Timor Lorosae, 3 October
Members of the National Parliament suggested the government to recruit more professional as a way to find solutions to the frequent power outage in the capital.
MP Pedro da Costa from CNRT made the statement during a plenary session Tuesday (30/9).
There are three new generators purchased to deal with the problem frequent power blackout.
Meanwhile, PSD bench leader in the Parliament Fernando Gusmão said that the power blackout happens because there is a failure in the company which operates the electricity.
Recently, FRETILIN MP Inacio Moreira demanded the Secretary of State for Water and Urbanization, who also deals with electricity to be sacked due to his incapacity in finding solutions to the recurring problems of power outage.
FRETILIN demands documents of Parliament’s car purchase – Suara Timor Lorosae, 3 October
Opposition party in the National Parliament, FRETILIN, demanded documents and other paper-works related to the 65 cars purchase for the National Parliament.
The demand was made by MP Francisco Branco Miranda during a Parliament’s plenary session Tuesday (30/9).
Branco argued that the money used to buy the cars belongs to the people and therefore the process of the purchase has to be transparent to the people.
He said that the process of buying the cars is not transparent amongst the members of the National Parliament.
Vice President of the National Parliament Maria Paixão said that though National Parliament is an autonomous state institution, it is not yet financially autonomous.
She therefore asked the opposition party to seek the documents from the government.
Meanwhile, head of National Procurement Office, Francisco da Costa Soares Borulako said that the documents could be given to anyone only if there is decision from the Prime Minister and Minister of Finance to do so.
Govt sends new military law to Nat’l Parliament – Suara Timor Lorosae, 3 October
The government had sent a new law on military service to the National Parliament to be discussed and then approved.
And the proposal of the law itself had been further submitted to the President of Committee B dealing with the issues of Foreign Affairs, National Defense and Security by the second Vise President Maria Paixão.
President of the Committee, Duarte Nunes, said that the law will be discussed in the Committee before taking it to the plenary of the National Parliament to vote on.
Secretary of State for Security, Júlio Tomás Pinto, said that if the law is passed as soon as possible, the Ministry would start recruiting new officials for the Defense Force in this month.
Prove me you’re professional and I’m ready send the FSI and UNPOL back, says PM – Suara Timor Lorosa’e, 3 October
East Timor’s Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão said Tuesday (30/9) if the East Timor Defense Force (F-FDTL) and the National Police (PNTL) proved him that they are already professional, the Prime Minister could ask the International Stabilization Forces (ISF) and the United Nations Police (UNPOL) to leave the country.
“The problems becomes smaller with the presence of the international forces and we feel we could not move if there are police from all over the world present here so prove me (you are professional) and I can send them back,” said Gusmão.
He explained that East Timor is an independent country but the movement of its Defense Force and its National Police is limited while the Australian soldiers walking around carrying their weapons.
“You cannot do it (carrying weapons around) while malaes (foreigners) can; what kind of independence is this?” questioned Gusmão.
He explained that in order to be really professional, the police should not carry their weapons while going to discotheques and that the police agents not to involve in illegal gambling.
As the Minister for Defense and Security, Gusmão asked the officers of both F-FDTL and PNTL to keep the spirit of joint operation to show that they are ready to take responsibility of securing and defending the sovereignty of Timor-Leste.
PNTL officers should avoid personal interest, says de Jesus – Timor Post, 3 October
Timorese Acting Police Commander, Afonso De Jesus has called on all Timorese National Police (PNTL) officers to work well in serving the country’s people not prioritizing personal interest.
The commander made the comments on Tuesday (30/9) in connection with some of the police inspectors who had worked for personal interest.
“I am calling on all the police officers within the police force to work together and keep up with the spirit of nationalism. We cannot work alone within this institution,” De Jesus said.
De Jesus said the police force needed help from the country’s leaders to professionalize the country’s police officers.
He added the police institution needed to make changes, because some of the police officers still new and their mentality were not so good.
Parliament calls for people to not panic – Timor Post, 3 October
Parliamentary Committee B has called for the Timorese people to not panic with illegal pamphlets which are currently spreading within the community regarding the appointment of the country’s new general police commander.
President of the Parliamentary Committee B for National Security and Defense, Duarte Nunes said the Parliament and Government knew about the spreading pamphlets observing, therefore the people should not panic, but should remain calm.
Nunes said the pamphlets were distributed by the irresponsible people to provoke instability in the country and make the people to panic.
The pamphlets said if the Government try to appoint a candidate from the country’s east and that would merger instability within the country.
He added the Government had planned to appoint a new top police commander in the upcoming November.
Agricultural state secretary symbolically harvests soybean in Bobonaro – Radio Timor-Leste, 3 October
State Secretary for Agriculture, Marcos da Cruz has symbolically harvested 42 hectares of soybean in Maligo of Kailako, district of Bobonaro.
During a speech marking ceremony for the harvest, the state secretary said planting soybean was an important step to increase the country’s local products.
Da Cruz said although he did not exactly know about the quantity of the farmers’ products, yet the products in this year was increasing.
After the harvest, the Government was directly buying the soybean products, 0, 50 cents per kilogram.
The state secretary also held a visit to the project of rehabilitation of irrigation implemented by Tao Propoes Company which will end in the upcoming November.
Court sentences four years in prison to Eugenio – Televizaun Timor-Leste, 3 October
The Dili district court has made verdict sentencing Eugenio Candido Alves to four years in prison, because he was found guilty involving arson to the Custom Department’s former building on August 6, 2007.
The court took the verdict based on the Penal Code Article 170 and 180 about committing arson to the public buildings and disturbances.
The trial for this case led by Deputy Penal judges consisting of Maria das Dores, Prosecutor Felisberto Cardoso and public defender Augusto do Santos Marques.
Prosecutor Cardoso said he made accusation to five accused, as they were suspected of being involved in burning down the building of costume office in 2007, but the four other accused were released as they were not found guilty.
Meanwhile, Legal Advisor for Eugenio said the verdict was acceptable to him and had discussed about everything related to the verdict with the family of Eugenio.
Public Prosecution to make accusation after having statement from Brigadier Ruak – Televizaun Timor-Leste, 2 October
Prosecutor General Longuinhos Monteiro, said the case of the country’s crises of 2006 would be taken to court after the Public Prosecution had got statement from the Defense Force Commander, Brigadier General Taur Matan Ruak.
The prosecutor general said they would make an official request to the Defense Superior Council to allow Brigadier Ruak to give his statement over the case.
“This is preliminary process and is not the time for making accusation, the final decision taken after getting statement from Brigadier Ruak,” Monteiro said.
In response to the F-FDTL Chief of Staffs, Lere Anan Timur’ concerns about ranking hierarchy to question him [Lere Anan] in the inquiry, Monteiro recognized it.
Monteiro said the inquiry should actually be done by a prosecutor, yet he was sick and that they handed over it to the investigative police to do it.
He added the president and prime minister had also faced inquiry in relation to the recent crises of 2006.
I’m not afraid of justice because truth is on my side, says Falur – Televizaun Timor-Leste, 2 October
East Timor Defense Force’s Lieutenant Colonel Falur Rate Laek said Thursday (2/10) that he is not afraid of facing justice because the truth is on his side.
Falur made the statement after answering the questions from the office of Pubic Prosecution in relation to the 2006 crises in which he is alleged of handing over weapons to former combatants.
“Only those who are afraid of facing justice are those who are guilty and those who are brave to face justice are those who have truth,” said Falur.
He said that that as he fought for independence and democracy, he himself should uphold justice and therefore he is ready to cooperate with the justice systems.
He explained that he was happy with the questions asked because as a combatant he is always happy.
Two more F-FDTL officers would be questioned in relation to the handing over weapons to former combatants in the 2006 crises.
The country is on the verge of dictatorship, says FRETILIN – Televizaun Timor-Leste, 2 October
FRETILIN’s President Francisco Guterres ‘Lu Olo’ said Thursday that East Timor is on the verge of dictatorship because there is tendency in the current government led by Xanana Gusmão to kill the rights of the people.
The statement was made during a press conference in relation to the statement made by the Prime Minister Xanana Gusmão last Saturday in Ainaro where Gusmão threatened the people not to take part in the peace rally organized by FRETILIN.
He stressed that the party will not allow dictatorship to take place again in the country as the people fought hard to get rid off it during the illegal Indonesian occupation.
Lu Olo added FRETILIN is really concerned and saddened by the statement made and he urged Gusmão’s government to respect the Constitution of the Republic along with other existing applicable and to respect the rights of the people to stage a peaceful rally.
He explained that the country should be built on the spirit of democracy, tolerance and peace but not on dictatorship.
He reaffirmed that the FRETILIN’s peace rally is not to create conflict but to affirm democracy and justice in the country and therefore it should not be banned by the government.
The date for the peace rally is not yet known.
AusAID provides US $ 500,000 to ICFJ for media support – Televizaun Timor-Leste, 25 September
The Australian International Development Agency (AusAID) has provided US $ 500, 000 to help support a free and independent media in Timor-Leste through International Centre for Journalists known as ICFJ.
The funds were directly handed over by the AusAID Acting councilor, Jenny Drain and representative, March White to Director for ICFJ, Dave Blues yesterday.
Drain said the project would be implemented until 2011 and would be specifically strengthening the media program in Timor-Leste, as media played important role in the country’s development.
“Media sector should be credible in building a strong democracy in East Timor and this why we continue supporting professional and qualified media training and the development of journalism in this country,”.
Govt begins processing payment for PNTL officers, says State secretary security – Televizaun Timor-Leste, 25 September
The Government through State secretary for Security has begun processing per diems payment for the Timorese National Police (PNTL) officers who were involved in the Joint Operation during the manhunt for the rebels.
“Process of per diems is currently in the process of payment by the Ministry of Planning and Finance,” State Secretary for Security, Francisco Guterres said.
The state secretary said about $ US 500, 000. 000 were enough to pay those police officers who had not been paid yet.
He added such a mount of money would be directly allocated to PNTL once it had been approved and would mainly be allocated to the police officers who were involved in recent Joint Operation.
Corruption in Timor-Leste has been very critical, says Transparency International – Timor Post, 25 September
The corruption in Timor-Leste has been significantly increasing compared with the level of corruption took place last year, says a report of Transparency International released Wednesday (24/9).
According to the Transparency International, which conducted corruption analyses in 180 countries in the world, the corruption cases which were high during the year of 2007 and 2008 had put Timor-Leste in the list of the one of the most corrupt countries in the world.
Last year, Timor-Leste was ranked 123 in the list of the corrupt countries with 2.6 points, while this year it drops to 145 with 2.2 points.
Learning about the corruption situation in the country, MP Fernanda Borges, President of Committee A, said that she was terribly saddened by the level of corruption in the country.
“I am terribly sad by the fact that Timor-Leste drops to the position of 145 from 123. Meaning that the corruption has been very strong in Timor-Leste,” said Borges.
Borges said that corruption takes place in the forms of single source mechanism and that the procurement services are not transparent.
The Transparency International elicited the data on corruption from public sectors and commerce, ranking the least corrupt countries with position one while the most corrupt counties with 180.
Meanwhile, for the points earned, points 10 indicates free from corruption while point zero for the most corrupt countries.
Ballistic examination proves bullets from rebel group hit Horta – Timor Post, 24 September
East Timor’s Prosecutor General Longuinhos Monteiro affirmed Wednesday (24/9) that based on the ballistic examination done by the Australian Federal Police it was the bullets of the rebel group led by Alfredo Reinado Alves that injured Ramos Horta during the attempt of February 11.
He said that the examination process had been successful though he declined to reveal the identity of the individuals who shot Horta.
He explained that only up to three automatic weapons were used for the examination in order to strengthen the accusation of the office of the Prosecutor General.
He said the result of the ballistic examination will be made to the public after his meeting with the Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police Thursday (25/9).
Timorese defense policy is independent, says Pinto – Timor Post, 25 September
State Secretary for Defense, Julio Thomas Pinto, said Timor-Leste’s defense policy was independent from other countries.
The state secretary made the comments in recent days during a two-day-conference held in Adelaide of Australia.
Pinto stressed the defense policy of the country would not be dependent on other country, as Timor-Leste had its own right to pave its own plans of defense.
Pinto added Timor-Leste would continue cooperating with the two of its biggest neighboring countries, such as Indonesia and Australia in defense sector.
I won’t avoid justice, says Lere Annan Timur – Diário Nacional, 25 September
The Timorese Defense Force Chief of Staffs, Lere Annan Timur, said he would not stay away from process of justice based the notification issued by the Public Prosecution regarding the recent crises of the country.
“This is not a new thing for me and other friends who have got the notification. I had never retreated from the war and even for justice I will not be shocked and is my commitment. We will cooperate with the Court to create peace and stability in the country,” Lere Annan said.
Lere Annan called on the Court to explain him about the reason why the Public Prosecution wanted to summon them.
Investigation by the UN over December 4th case is political trick – Diário Nacional, 25 September
Fretilin MPs said the investigation into the case of December 4th 2002 by the UN International Investigation Commission was like a political trick.
Fretilin Chief of Bench, Francisco Miranda Branco said the findings of the UN investigation was excessive and was political trick.
Branco was referring to the UN investigative commission report which had been publicized by the media and was raised by MPs in recent days.
Branco said one of the report findings said a former state secretary of Fretilin government provoked the protestors to attack the Parliament House on December 4, 2002.
Public Prosecution has obligation to issue notification, says PD MP – Radio Timor-Leste, 24 September
Democratic Party (PD) MP Vital dos Santos, said the Public Prosecution had the obligation to issue a notification for any of the country’s citizen who was suspected of being involved in criminal actions.
Dos Santos was referring to the notification issued by the Public Prosecution to summon Timorese Defense Force (F-FDTL) Chief of Staff Lere Annan Timur and Falur Rate Laek regarding the country’s recent military and political crises of 2006.
Dos Santos stressed the Public Prosecution had the right to halt process of investigation into a case if there were no strong evidences.
Lere Annan will face inquiry on the upcoming September 29, while Falur Rate Laek will face inquiry on October 1.