A humanitarian and recovery appeal launched in Timor-Leste
Dili – 28 March, 2008 – The United Nations and non government organisations working in Timor-Leste will launch an appeal to the donor community tomorrow for ongoing relief and recovery programs.
The Transitional Strategy and Appeal is a consolidated plan to support the most vulnerable, including internally displaced persons (IDPs) and communities at risk from natural disasters. The project areas have been identified after detailed and strategic planning by humanitarian and recovery partners in close coordination with the Government.
The total amount being appealed for is US$33.5m, compared with US$36m requested last year. While humanitarian assistance in the IDP camps continues to be critical, early recovery initiatives aimed at the creation of an enabling environment for IDPs’ return and/or resettlement have become the primary focus of the Government of Timor-Leste and its partners in 2008. The funds will be spent in three strategic areas:
1. Continued emergency assistance in IDP camps
2. Supporting the Government’s National Recovery Strategy in the areas of housing, security and stability, social protection, local economies and building community trust
3. Strengthening the country’s ability to manage risk and impact from natural disasters
The total sum will contribute to 67 projects administered by six national NGOs, 13 international NGOs and eight UN Agencies, funds and programmes including the International Organisation for Migration.
The UN’s Humanitarian Coordinator for Timor-Leste, Mr. Finn Reske-Nielsen, says that funding raised through the Appeal will complement national financial resources already committed by the Government.
‘The Government of Timor-Leste has committed US$ 15 million in 2008 to address IDP issues’ says Mr Reske-Nielsen. ‘These financial resources constitute a significant and increased commitment of the Government towards these issues, however, further donor support to Government’s efforts will be valuable to help meet its shortfall’.
Mr Reske-Nielsen said that ongoing humanitarian problems that stem from the crisis in 2006 are complex and multi-dimensional with social, economic and political roots.
‘There is no simple nor short-term solution, and the experience of national and international organisations along with the Government, shows that continued support to ongoing humanitarian response and recovery efforts is vital to reaching a sustainable resolution to the crisis.’
For more information please contact UNMIT Spokesperson Allison Cooper on +670 723 0453
ETimor requests 33.5 million dollars from donors
6 hours ago
DILI (AFP) East Timor’s government on Saturday
appealed to international donors for 33.5 million
dollars in aid for the impoverished nation during a meeting here.
Twenty-three donor countries and the government
held two days of talks in Dili to discuss aid to the half-island nation.
“It is critical for the government to receive
continuous financial support from the
international community during this crucial 2008
transition period,” Vice Prime Minister Jose Luis
Guterres said in a closing speech.
Guterres said some of the funds would go to
emergency aid to internally displaced peoples and
for food assistance. He also said the government
had allocated 15 million dollars from its own
resources to address humanitarian issues.
East Timor has been rocked by troubles in recent years.
In 2006, more than 100,000 people were estimated
to have fled their homes amid sudden bloodshed that followed unrest.
In February, renegade soldiers attacked President
Jose Ramos-Horta and Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao
in separate assaults. Gusmao was unscathed, but
Ramos-Horta was shot and spent weeks recovering in an Australian hospital.