JAKARTA, Oct 28 (AFP) — Indonesian army chief General Djoko Santoso
on Sunday defended the shooting of a suspected smuggler who crossed
from East Timor, saying soldiers had followed proper procedures
before opening fire.
Soldiers manning the border between Indonesian West Timor and East
Timor shot at four men believed to be members of a smuggling gang in
the early hours of Friday, the military said. One was killed and the
other three escaped.
An investigation showed that the four were East Timorese nationals
who had illegally crossed into Indonesian territory.
“The shooting at the border was made after following the prevailing
procedures,” Santoso told journalists on the sidelines of a ceremony
at the Jakarta military headquarters.
“This took place because our patrol met with a smuggling attempt. The
procedures were followed, they were warned, they ran, we went after
them but they resisted, so shots were fired,” Santoso said in a
broadcast on Elshinta radio, adding that no action would be taken
against the soldiers.
The head of the military command that oversees security at the
border, Major General Syaiful Rizal has said the men attacked the
soldiers with machetes when they were pursued.
It was unclear what the men were smuggling but the Kompas daily has
quoted a border security officer as saying security had been
tightened because of reports of planned smuggling of fuel and
motorcycles into East Timor.
Terjemahan (atas jasa “Kataku”):
Joyo Indonesia News Service